Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Who's With Me?

As some of you know, I have decided to run a total of 300 miles between June 21 and September 21. For a while now, I have been saying I need to get back into shape. I have signed up for (and run) a few half marathons in the hope the training schedule would get me back on track. Unfortunately, I have found I can still run a half marathon in a respectable time without following a training schedule or maintaining a healthy diet. I have basically been rewarded for my laziness. Running 13.1 miles on one day is not enough to get back into shape, but running 300 miles over 93 days should be.


I decided a few weeks ago I would only complete the 300 miles if I started telling everyone about my goal. The more people I tell, the more the fear of embarrassment will force me to get up for my morning runs. If you work with me or if you been with me on one of my 500 weekend trips out of NYC over the past few months, then you have heard me talk about my plan at least ten times. The rest of you are probably hearing this for the first time and are shocked I would actually tell a story more than once.

Over the past few weeks, Lissa and Abbie have wisely decided to join me. Lissa made a few other wise decisions that may entice a few more people to join us. More on that later.

Because not everyone wants to run 300 miles and because people have other important personal goals, I am inviting you to pick your own goal for the summer and we can track our progress together.

There are a few basic rules – our goals must be measurable and challenging (300 miles run, 4000 pages read, 20 sweaters knit), our goals must involve an ongoing activity (losing weight is not an activity) and our goals must be positive (visiting every bar in Tribeca is not positive and it is not challenging, trust me). The point is this: We all have at least one thing we have been talking about doing for a while but have not actually done anything about it. The time is now.

Who’s with me?

Rebecca


The Rules:
1. If you wish to participate, you must declare your goal (to me) by Saturday, June 21.


2. The challenge runs from June 21 through September 21 (official start and end of summer). We can repeat this in the fall (and every season until I end up on Oprah).


3. When you complete 50% of your goal, you will reward yourself with a small prize (piece of jewelry, new jeans, bag, massage). Lissa pointed out three months is a long time and we need a mid-point reward.


4. When we complete our goals, we will go for a nice dinner at a nice restaurant. Again, this is Lissa.

5. Each participant should create a system for tracking his/her progress. If you would like to use the group spreadsheet I have created, please email me.


No comments: