Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Who's With Me? (New People)

A few big things are happening right now in the world of Who's With Me? - we are closing in on the two week mark, people have started declaring goals for Round Two and the early indications are R2 will be much bigger than R1.

Some great updates from some people with great attitudes:

Lissa - I have fallen off the wagon in a major way. I need a Labor Day buttkicking this weekend. Can I run 200 miles in a month? Probably not. But I at least want to get to my jewelry goal!! Getting ... back ... on the horse. NOW.

Patrick proudly reported he dropped a chest size. Nice work, Patrick.

Caroline - The training is going well. I've officially started training for my 1/2 marathon and am learning so much about running. A month ago, I had no idea there was such a thing as interval running or tempo running! My initial goal in doing this was to increase my energy level and I have definitely achieved that. I've already started thinking about what my goals will be for the fall- I've enjoyed the running but want to add in some new things.

Right now, you might be asking yourself why you should commit to Round 2. The reasons are endless, but I will share a few:

  • If you are going to complete your R1 goal (or come close), you will have to work hard to maintain everything you have done since June 21
  • If you are not going to complete your R1 goal, you have a chance to go for it again (maybe with a different goal)
  • If you have been able to put up with my emails for three months, you must believe in Who's With Me?
  • If you did not participate in R1* (because of poor judgment or because you didn't know about it) you have the opportunity to make a small (but meaningful) change in your life
  • If you work hard from September 22 (must declare goal by then) until December 20, you won't have to think about a resolution for January 1
  • I have updated the rules to make R2 different (see below)

Stop searching for reasons. Declare your goal. I am going to finish my 300 miles and I am ready for more. Who's with me?


There are a few basic rules about picking goals:

  • Our goals must be measurable and challenging (300 miles run, 4000 pages read, 3000 sits up sat up)
  • Our goals must involve an ongoing activity (losing weight is not an activity)
  • We must be able to achieve 100% of our goals even if we miss a day here and there (quitting smoking is out)
  • Our goals must be positive (visiting every bar in Tribeca is not positive and it is not challenging, trust me)
  • Our goals can't depend on other people's actions (Sorry, guys, 'three dates per week' doesn't work)

The point is this: We all have at least one thing we have been talking about doing for a while but have not actually done anything about it. The time is now.

Other things you should know:

1. If you wish to participate, you must declare your goal (to me) by Monday, September 22.
2. The challenge runs from September 22 through December 20 (official start and end of Fall). We can repeat this in the spring (and every season until I end up on Oprah).
3. When you complete 50% of your goal, you will reward yourself with a small prize (piece of jewelry, new clothes, fishing trip). Lissa pointed out three months is a long time and we need a mid-point reward.
4. When we complete our goals, we will go for a nice dinner at a nice restaurant. Again, this is Lissa.
5. Once you declare your goal, I will make you a spreadsheet so you can track your progress and see what other people are doing. Some people think this is the best part of the whole thing.

No comments: