Sunday, August 3, 2008

Who's With Me? (Who cares? I look good)

In case you haven't been paying attention, we will hit the halfway point this week. Some people are on track and some people are behind. You still have plenty of time to finish what you started on June 21. You just have to decide to make it happen. Oprah and I are counting on you to make this happen.

After the foot fiasco, I am behind target, but still committed to completing the goal. I ran 15 miles this weekend (thanks for the help, Abbie) and will hopefully be caught up by the halfway point. One thing keeping me motivated - the people who tell me I look better than I did when this first started. Of course, they are all telling me this after I ask "Don't I look better than when this first started?" but I am sure they are being honest.

Here are some stories to remind you why you are doing this:

Michelle: Since we started this, I have been consistent (not as much as I'd like, but still) in sticking with my goal of doing Pilates. More importantly, the challenge made me decide to go for one of my biggest lingering goals, which has been to run a marathon. Happily, I am on my way, running about 15 miles a week at the moment (I've never run more than a mile!). I'm doing the Nike+ 10K with Meg and Laura on August 31st and have become so obsessed with running that I am convinced I will be able to do the Nike Women's Half Marathon on October 19th. To top it off, I've already picked a charity to run for in the 2009 NYC Marathon.

New Todd: I've never run 9 miles in my life until trying to catch up on "Who's With Me?" - you've created a monster!!

Jenny: My update is that I had a minor bike accident. I was going through some uneven terrain cause by road construction and I totally bit it. Then Augy fell off trying to avoid running over me. With both had some nice asphalt burns going and I banged up my knee pretty bad. After about 10 days of ice and Advil, I'm back to working out-- I'm way behind but hoping to catch up!

Lissa: The race was awesome!! Missed my goal time by 2 minutes, but the course and the crowds were fabtastic and even the weather cooperated. Best of all - first long race in a year with no knee pain and no lost toenails - could it be that I was actually prepared for this one?

If those stories aren't enough (they should be), you should think about the people who are already asking about round two. The emails are starting to pile up. Eitan, an early round two participant writes, "I really like what you're doing here. Its sort of like pay it forward, but everyone feels better at the end because you are actually helping yourself instead of some stranger."

Speaking of helping yourself, remember Lissa's rule about the 50% mark - you get to buy yourself a little present. Sally is thinking about a mani/pedi. Gemma, Luisa and I are meeting up for dinner (and I may soon own a new pair of jeans). What are you going to do for yourself?

PS - I am kidding about the subject line. Sort of. I do look good.

No comments: